woensdag 4 februari 2009

Personal background and topics of interest

After completing secondary education I started with the Bachelor program of Architecture in Delft. Before I started with this I was already interested in and curious about how the structure of al kinds of objects performed and how they could be improved. As well because of this interest I’ve chosen to start with the Building Technology master. The first semester of building technology was a bit disjointed but I certainly liked the product design course. For now I would like to expand my design capabilities with this course about parametric design. And hopefully use this as a tool for my next designs.

The past years I’ve been competing in several contests where one had to make a bridge out of spaghetti which had to carry its own weight as much times as possible.
Another competition which I’ve attended was about making a portable pedestrian bridge which also was capable of making different spans to make it possible to use in every situation on Dutch train stations.
In both contests I noticed that the designs of al bridges were designed by putting some sort of truss or 2D arch construction. Subsequently calculating the stresses in this construction and when this was optimal the construction was copied and a floor was fitted in between these two trusses and maybe some simple straight on linkages were added and that’s it.
I think this can be done in another more efficient ‘3D’ way, with more efficient I mean stronger, lighter and better integrated functions.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten